Sunday, September 14, 2008

Hey, hey, what's going on with Joe?

So, I am still buzzing because I had a great work out. Today's chest routine started heavy.
275 3 times;
255 6 times;
235 8 times;
225 8 times; and
225 7 times.
As the kids would say, daayam.
What does this mean for P90X?
Well, I dig some of their routines. But I feel that there isn't as much of a strength component. So, I mix in real world weights, running, and other cardio to keep it fresh. So, in the past week, it's been mini-tri on cardio. Chest-tri-shoulder dvd, bicep and back dvd, plyometrics, heavy arms-triceps-back, and now heavy chest.
Still, kids, it's all about the diet. Still working on that.

I bought the new Metallica album. My first impression is that there is no hook. that middle aged has taken away the sense of crushing oppression and doom from the music, and that Rick Rubin has melded Metallica's sound into something almost generic. But as I listen now, I am warming up to it. We die hard, or whatever it's called is pretty good. I still don't think there are any hooks, think about the good old stuff, the doo-do-do-doo, ba whamp ba whamp isn't there.

Also, I think Lars's drums are mellower too.

On the other hand, Fuel had no hook, but it had the Lars drums and it had speed and for once some melody.

James's voice is also off. He's not singing in a Metallica manner. He's actually trying to sing at points. He's just yelling at others. There is just not enough of macho there or his classic "-uh" style. Like "seeeeeee seeeeeek-uh and destroy-uh."

I am listening to something now with a RATM'ish intro. It's too slick, man, give me devil music dammit!

UPDATE
Nope, the new album just went up a few pegs to pretty good on the second listen, so this album isn't like St. Anger where I had to force myself to appreciate the train wreck acoustic-aesthetics (obviously there is a better word for that). No, this album simply had to get past its newness.

I think I was thrown off by the new tricks these old dogs learned. I swear, at points, I could detect some Zepplin, some Rage, and even some Helmet (!). Yes, We Die Hard and Day That Never Comes are both radio friendly and awesome. The instrumental just rocks. Although, that instrumental is like a bad girl friend, just as soon as you're like "oh yeah, that's the stuff," the song figuratively fixes its hair or answers the phone. Well, not answer the phone bad, but I question the arrangement. Why interrupt a good guitar riff with a lame one? I think they were trying to be Metallica choppy, but it doesn't help.
And at other points, the album is like a mind reader, I was thinking to myself, "you know what would be good here...some of this or some of that," and at that point, I guess Rick Rubin agreed because all of the sudden the missing element is inserted.
Good album. Not the Black Album good, but Load good.

No comments: